Thursday, May 25, 2006

Helping us help you

Today I spoke with a member of the Armed Forces in Ottawa, who made a couple of suggestions for the Canadian Angels. Some of them I felt were very obvious, and others needed to be explained to me.

The two main points:

For reasons of privacy, only the soldier or an immediate family member should be able to sign them up. Random friends or strangers would be inappropriate. I'm okay with that.

The Canadian military is different from the Americans in many ways. It's no secret that we have fewer resources. We have been asked to please limit the size and weight of packages going over. Cards, letters - always great. Small packets, not too much of a problem. Large boxes? Maybe only around the holidays. I definitely agree with that point, as I can understand how quickly the military planes must get filled, how expensive it must be to make the trips over with supplies, equipment and mail, and how much the fuel is costing these days.

Remember, we are here to help the military in any way we can, and that includes the guys in Ottawa making the rules. To that end, a couple of small changes will be made on Canadian Angels later on tonight.

1 Comments:

Blogger DV said...

As a member of the CF. I would like to thank you for your support of our troops. We feel that too often, troops are left on their own and it's with great pride and strong feelings that I support your effort!
Good luck and God bless!

François
http://progredereautmoriere.blogspot.com/

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home