Saturday, May 20, 2006

What a great first couple of days

In less than two days, my little idea has grown incredibly. I really want to thank the 30+ volunteers who have already signed up, with more emails coming in every hour. I have had calls offering me technical and financial help. I have been contacted by Siri Agrell of the National Post to do a follow-up on her piece of May 6th. And on Monday night I will be speaking to Rob Breakenridge on CHQR (Calgary) at 8:05pm Mountain Time.

The first post on the blog was entitled "Countering Apathy", but now I am beginning to rethink that. Canadians are not apathetic toward their military at all. They really care, as they've shown over the past couple of days.

Our main shortcoming remains the inability to get the word out to the troops en masse, but the applications are trickling in nonetheless.

People are offering advice, too. One person pointed out (to my shame) that I had referred to all our Forces as "soldiers", instead of the soldiers, sailors and airmen that are over there. It's a silly mistake that I promise will be corrected.

Keep the applications coming. As soon as we have more soldiers, everyone will have one to sponsor. And thanks again for all you've done so far.

2 Comments:

Blogger WE Speak said...

For the military, I would start with the Family Support Services Program.

http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/dmfs/contactus/index.asp

They are the organization in charge of the various Military Family Resource Centres.

http://www.pmfrc.org/index-eng.htm

The press attention should certainly help.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Wendy Sullivan said...

Hi BBS. Tried that last year. Failed. I kinda went round and round with the Family Support program. Eventually I was pointed in the direction of the message board, which is great, but not what I'm looking to accomplish.

Wendy

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home