Thursday, October 12, 2006

A positive letter from the Toronto Star

From Julie Freeman, from her letter to the editor, Toronto Star, today.

I want to thank Rosie DiManno for her article about Afghanistan. One of my closest friends is fighting in Afghanistan right now and when he left I hated the military and the government for sending him somewhere so dangerous for something that meant nothing to me.

I felt this until I asked him about the mission, and until I educated myself about why Canadians are fighting, and dying, in a country that is so far removed from mine, both geographically and ideologically.

I felt this until I learned the inhuman things that the Taliban were doing to the Afghan people. I am now thankful every single day that I can go to school, work, express my opinions and even dance and sing in public if I feel like it, without fear of repercussions.

Now, when people tell me that our soldiers are dying out there "for no reason," I try to help them understand the noble and generous sacrifices these people are making. To willingly put your life on the line so that people you may never meet can have a better life is the bravest act and the greatest example of kindness toward all humanity that I can possibly imagine.

Thank you to the men and women of the Canadian Forces who have given their lives for others. And thank you to the men and women of the Canadian Forces who continue to fight, and support those who fight, under frightening and dangerous circumstances for this cause.

1 Comments:

Blogger no1mech said...

Good evening Wendy ,just a quick note to thank you to you and yours a happy holiday.I just recieve a Christmas card with your signature and I was looking for a way to say thanks to you, I have manage to call a few card senders out there and thank them but my time card has run out.I am currently over the pond as they say again ,having been posted to Pet myself and various field units over the last 20 years or so and have done my share of tours but this is the first time I have been away from my wife and kids during the x mas season i truley enjoyed the parcels ands cards from complete strangers and school kids to lighten the mood
once again thanks to you and you group
Dave M

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home